March 27, 2020
Dear Zion Parents,
Based on recommendations from the Two Rivers, Central District, and Loup Basin Health Departments and the Nebraska Commissioner of Education, Zion Lutheran School will close its campus indefinitely. This means that our school facility will be closed and our teachers will continue to provide distance-learning options until such time as the appropriate entities (local public health dept., Nebraska Dept. of Education, etc.) deem it safe for us to resume education in the physical classroom.
Our plan moving forward:
- The teachers are busy preparing a second packet to be picked up on Tuesday from 1-4 p.m. at the south doors; preschool/pre-k packets can be picked up at the north parking lot doors from 10-1 p.m.
- You may bring any completed schoolwork from the first packet.
- You will not be able to enter the building, rather a teacher will meet you at the door with your child’s school work.
- Packets will contain remaining class materials and return envelopes that can be dropped off in the school mail slot weekly.
- Teachers will continue to teach via ZOOM meetings – a master schedule will be provided that will be used throughout the time frame of our “indefinite” status.
- Each child’s Google classroom will provide a hub of communication for the child’s class.
- Teachers will post supplementary material and pre-recorded videos that are to help foster skill development.
- In the upper grades assignments may be submitted via the google classroom.
- If your child does not have the means to type assignments and submit them via the google classroom (grades 3-8), Zion will loan out chrome books to those that need them. Please email the office if this applies to you.
The combination of these three avenues are meant to help continue your child’s education. If you are feeling overwhelmed with the new role as teacher-parent, we will also be providing a tip-sheet for you on how to best make this change. You’re not alone – children are confused on their role of being a student at home. We’re here to help! Also, feel free to talk with the teacher and they will help you come up with a plan!
Please continue to pray for our nation, our leaders, teachers, parents, and students as we all try to cope (and still learn!) in these unsettling times.
God’s Peace be with you,
Zion Lutheran School